What is Grey Power?
Grey Power is an organisation which advocates for policies affecting those of 50 year and above, it was originally founded in 1986 to counter the proposal to impose a taxation surcharge on retirement income; successful lobbying stopped this, but Grey Power remains alert to any changes proposed by Political Parties of any hue.Grey Power has grown nationally and gone from strength to strength. Today there are nominally 51,000 financial members that stem from more than 70 Associations that are spread throughout the country.
The Grey Power movement has become a voice in Parliament which advocates on behalf of the 50+ age group. Grey Power is well positioned as an effective lobby group and is respected by Government as an advocacy group, plus we are one of a few who are consulted and requested for input by Government on numerous issues.
- To advocate on behalf of seniors regarding government and local policies which may affect them.
- To affirm and protect that statutory right of every New Zealand resident, to a sufficient New Zealand Superannuation entitlement.
- To strive for a provision of a quality Health Care to all New Zealand residents regardless of income and location.
- To oppose all discriminatory and disadvantageous legislation affecting rights, security and dignity.
- To be non aligned with any political party, and to present a strong united lobby to all Parliament and statutory Bodies on matters affecting New Zealanders.
- To promote and establish links with kindred organisations.
- To promote recognition of the wide-ranging services provided by senior citizens of New Zealand.
- For further information on Grey Power Federation, please visit their website.